SSC English Composition Test 3
Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option.
[Q.1] The climb upside (1)/the mountains(2)/ was not easy. (3)/No error
- No error
[Q.2] Chilika is the (1)/ largest brackish water (2)/ lagoon in Asia. (3)/ No error
- No error
Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
[Q.3] Rituals play into the ——- understandings of a society.
[Q.4] Repetition bred a sense of ——– with the characters.
Select the word similar in meaning to the given word
Select the word opposite in meaning to the given word.
Select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase.
[Q.9] Rat race
- make other fight for scraps and get sadistic pleasure out of it
- we oppressive boss and treat employees like animals
- A way of life in which people are Caught of fiercely competitive struggle for wealth or power
- Play games with the lives of other people and see them run aimlesly
[Q.10] Spin one’s wheels
- keep bragging about oneself
- Try your luck
- Expel much effort for little or no again
- Start a long journey
Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
[Q.11] A small makeshift stage (was construct) with a red curtain for a backdrop.
- are constructed
- was constructed
- were constructed
- No improvement
[Q.12] Take out your binoculars and (will see) the Andromeda galaxy.
- No improvement
Select the alternative which is the best substitute for the phrase.
[Q.13] Take away or alter the natural qualities of
[Q.14] Decay of organic matter producing a fetid smell
Select the correctly spelt word.
[Q.15] Four words are given out of which one word is correctly spelt.
[Q.16] Four words are given out of which one word is correctly spelt.
Out of the alternatives,select the most logical order of the sentences to form a coherent paragraph.
[Q.17] (X.)think of it as losing its and shriveling to a point.
(Y.)occupy any portion of space,we need not.
(Z.)we deny that a mental image can.
[Q.18] (X.)seven planets around the star
(Y.)system is the tight packing of the
(Z.) in comparsion with the solar
Select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
[Q.19] The homeowners remodelled the house to help it sell.
- The house was remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell.
- The house is remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell.
- so that it is helped to sell the house was remodelled by the home owners.
- so that it is helped to sell the house is remodelled by the home owners.
Select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect /Direct speech.
[Q.20] She asked Ravi, “What is worrying you ?”
- She asked Ravi what is worrying him.
- She asks Ravi what was worrying him.
- She asks Ravi what is worrying him.
- She asked Ravi what was worrying him.
Read the paragraph carefully and select the correct answer out of the four alternatives for the given blanks.
[Q.] I had seen this road many years ago when my parents moved to Mundakotukurussi, our ancestral village.However, in those early years I had not begun exploring the countryside.I stored the unknown road in my head under ‘one day i will’ . Ten year ago when I recovered from the herniated disc, it was to discover that I had a useless left leg.Though I manage to lose the limb, I hated not being able to stride around as I used to.I needed a challenge to tell myself that I was not going to buckle to creature called sciatica.Thus ‘one day I will’ arrived. “where does the road by the medical shop lead to?” I ask my parent while visiting them next.”Chalavara,” they said.”It is not an easy road to walk on,” my father added. “There are too many ups and downs. Chalavara was a Superior grade of village as compared to Mundakotukurussi, with a high school,a fine library, ATMs and several shops.But it also has two approaches roads. the one I had chosen was a narrow back road used by the locals and that settled it for me. I needed to know for myself I could walk a road that wasn’t going to be easy.And the next day, I would get up and walk that road again.
[Q.21] What is ‘sciatica’?.
- A types of animal
- Name of a real place
- Name of an imaginary place
- A herniated disc
[Q.22] Where did the forefathers of writer live .
- Out of India
[Q.23] What disability did the writer suffer due to the herniated disc?
- A useless left leg
- Loss of memory
- Poor visibility
[Q.24] One Day I will ‘ is the title of ?
- A village
- The unknown road
- A tourist place
- A path famous with
[Q.25] What makes chalavara better than Mundakotukurussi ?
- It has a high school, a fine library, ATMs and several shops.
- It is the place where the writer’s ancestors were born
- It is the place where the writer went to school
- It is the place where the writer would walk when he was young